Between the different options offered in our digital signature process, Docuten allows you to use biometric signature to sign documents from your tablet or smartphone through the application for Apple, Android and Windows platforms. This signature is similar to the handwritten signature, is legally valid and completely secure.
Digital signature process via mobile devices
Biometric signature can be done on the mobile device itself, just like we do when we sign a physical document via handwritten signature. When signing, Docuten captures the biometric strokes of your signature and it keeps the data securely encrypted. This way the user is totally identified with all the guarantees.
The platform also allows you to add a qualified time stamp to ensure the electronic signature in the most reliable way possible.
Signature information is encrypted in the PDF document , and is the PDF document itself the form where the signature process is made.
About the biometric signature characteristics
1. Biometric signature legal validity
Legal validity of the signature comes from the storage process of the biometric signature strokes.
- Biometric signature strokes consists of : Speed in X, Speed in Y, Acceleration in X, Acceleration in Y, Angular accelerations, pressure variations, pseudo-pressure, strokes number, strokes order, strokes duration, etc.
These data is encrypted within the same platform with the public part of a encryption key. The private part is guarded by the Certification authority or the notary that have previously generated it. Only under judicial petition will the private part be used to decode the biometric information.
2. Non – repudiation
The following data is saved with the signature for security reasons. These specific informations helps to ensure the signature legality and avoid the repudiation.
- Device from where the signature was done.
- Signature geolocation.
- Recognized timestamp, which guarantees in a reliable manner when was the signature done.
3. Security of the Biometric signature format
Docuten Biometric signature has the maximum level of security.
- The final document is encrypted and saved, what impossibilities the document to be modified after the signature has been made. If someone tried to change the document afterwards, the hash and the digital signature would be changed and recorded inside the document historical.
- Biometric signature data will only be available for those who have the private password of the master certificate.
- Timestamp is included with the other biometric information and credits the exact moment when the signature was made.
- The original document to be signed is the one that is sent to the mobile device. We don’t send an image or a part of the document, but we send the original document to be signed.
- Signing process on the tablet is made on the original document, which is the one that is sent, and not just on a picture of it. From the legal point of view, this is what it needs to be done, signing on the original document.
- The mobile device application sends to the server the signed document with the information encrypted and stored inside the document, so that the unification isn’t done outside the application itself.Respecting to security terms is very important that this process is done inside the same device and the document and the signature aren’t separated, because this would put in danger the access and custody to the document signature.
- The platform complements all the security process with a forensic verification tool made to be used by a handwriting expert. In the situation there is a litigation case respecting the signed document the expert will be able to discern if the document was signed by the supposed signer or not.
4. Biometric signature formats
The signature platform allows you to use any of the international standards, being used in the biometric case the following ones:
- PAdES in all its levels (Basic, Enhanced, LTV), as it is defined in ETSI TS 102 778.